This professional will be a core member of Investure’s Accounting and Treasury team. Reporting to the Chief Accounting Officer, this position will be primarily responsible for fund accounting and certain fund-related operations for the Investure Funds. This person will help oversee fund accounting and operations through a combination of (i) technical investment fund accounting expertise, (ii) thoughtful execution and continual improvement of strong internal controls, processes, and technology, and (iii) contributing directly to the investment valuation process and operational due diligence framework.
Based in Charlottesville, Virginia, Investure was founded in 2003 to serve as the outsourced investment office to endowments and private foundations where building a high-quality organization in-house is not economical or preferable. Managing assets of approximately $18 billion through 13 client relationships, Investure is responsible for asset allocation and manager selection in multiple asset classes including but not limited to fixed income, global public equities, and alternative investments (hedge funds and private equity). Investure is a growing, fast-paced, high-energy culture where there is a vast opportunity for learning.
Responsibilities for the role include, but are not limited to:
- Manage, oversee, or individually contribute to certain aspects of fund accounting and operations for Investure Funds:
- Ensure accounting activities are conducted in accordance with internal policies and procedures;
- Manage day-to-day accounting operations of fund entities, including capital calls, distributions, internal shadow general ledger maintenance and periodic reconciliations to third-party fund administrator.
- Lead certain aspects of monthly/quarterly closings and annual audits for the Investure Funds;
- Assist in ongoing development of fund accounting team’s technical knowledge base;
- Build relationships with underlying investment managers’ back office personnel and key Investure Fund service providers;
- Maintain extensive knowledge of emerging best practices in the industry;
- Proactively identify areas for improvement or enhancement and work collaboratively with Chief Accounting Officer to implement solution;
- Work collaboratively with Investure Legal to ensure timely and accurate regulatory filings.
- Prepare investment valuation models, analysis and memorandums in accordance with the firm’s valuation policy.
- Assist Chief Accounting Officer with ad hoc projects and analyses.
- Partner with Chief Accounting Officer and other members of the team to contribute to tax compliance process for the Investure Funds and distribute K-1s to investors on a timely basis.
- Contribute to the Operational Due Diligence function.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant work experience required in investment accounting or audit focused on hedge funds, private equity funds or fund of funds.
- Minimum 4+ years of experience with management of team with fund accounting responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA preferred
- Strong familiarity with investment fund structures, investment valuations, and complex financial instruments
- Experience with investment fund accounting systems; experience implementing fund accounting technology preferred
- Proficient using standard office software such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook
- Exceptionally detail-oriented with proven ability to succeed in a deadline-driven environment
- Process-oriented with ability to identify and thoughtfully improve inefficient or outdated processes
- Experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Success thriving in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism
- Integrity: Demonstrates unquestioned ethics and credibility. Strives to exemplify the highest ethical standards in both work and personal lives
- Excellence: Has exceptional work ethic. Works both hard and smart. Demonstrates continuous self-evaluation of successes and failures
- Service: Puts others first. Illustrates mission-driven outlook and approach
- Stewardship: Puts long-term interests above short-term goals. Focuses on the greater good
- People: Demonstrates passion and excellent judgment. Treats others with respect, helps when and how needed, and is respectful of the needs of others
- Teamwork: Takes a collaborative and selfless approach. Operates under the “Golden Rule”
- Humility: Comfortable with being wrong. Seeks to learn from mistakes. Willing to do anything necessary to get the job done. Treats all as equals
Position Based Competencies
- Accuracy: Identifies and corrects mistakes; does not repeat past mistakes; demonstrates attention to detail
- Team Orientation: Comfortable taking direction or taking the lead; receptive to feedback
- Process Management: Creative and innovative thinker who can simplify and improve complex procedures
- Communication: Excellent interpersonal skills; professional and diplomatic demeanor
- Planning: Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; accurately scopes tasks and projects
- Adaptability: Self-directed learner; effectively and positively embraces and manages change
- Relationship Management: Negotiates skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; ability to establish strong rapport across all levels
- Expertise: Has experience and knowledge to oversee a function with a high level of accomplishment; able to successfully direct and guide department efforts
- Problem Solving: Strong analytical skills; Seeks input and builds consensus to drive team to desired solution
- Judgment: Demonstrates good decision-making based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom and experience; considers organizational impact
- Partnership Mindset: Defines success in terms of the whole team, treats each other as partners and encourages collaboration and openness.
To apply for this position, interested parties should visit our website: www.investure.com/careers